Online gaming is enjoyed by many young people, but there are some risks worth thinking about. We’ve put together some tips about what to look out for and ideas for staying safe while you play.
Things to watch out for
Online gaming can be fun, but sometimes there are things people do that could make you feel awkward. It’s a good idea to be aware of some of the risks and how to keep yourself safe. Here’s our tips:
- Use the safety tools: Sometimes other gamers can say mean things or try to bully or upset you. Make sure you know how to block and report anything that makes you feel uncomfortable and if you need help make sure you speak to someone about it.
- Get support: Some of the people you might be playing with could be older than you. Remember to be aware and tell your parents or a teacher if you feel upset or uncomfortable about what someone is saying to you.
- Keep your details private: If anyone asks you to share your password or any personal information with them, don’t send it.
- Disconnect: Some games have content that might upset you or you may see something that makes you feel upset. If this happens turn off the game and speak to an adult you trust.
- Find a balance: Some people find it hard to stop playing, but it’s important you also spend time with friends and family and do other things you enjoy
Reporting & blocking
Lots of games allow players to talk to one another while they play. Sometimes some players use the chat function to say mean things or try to distract other gamers from their game.
Before you start playing, check how to report, block or mute other players. If someone says something to you that upsets you or makes you feel uncomfortable speak to a parent or another trusted adult about it.
It’s normal to feel competitive when playing games, but there’s nothing wrong with losing. Respect other players and don’t intentionally upset anyone in order to get ahead.
If you or someone you know needs help or advice about something that’s happened online, you can contact us seven days a week.
- Text ‘Netsafe’ to 4282
- Fill out an online contact form
- Email [email protected]
- Call us free phone on 0508 NETSAFE (0508 638 723).
Our contact centre is open 8am – 8pm weekdays and 9am – 5pm on weekends and public holidays.
If you’re concerned about the immediate safety of you or someone else, call 111.